THE PANDARAZZI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for Project Panda

GalleryHomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» NEW images of Metal and Wood tribe cubs!!
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 am by Admin

» WOOD TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 am by Admin

» METAL TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:40 pm by Admin

» Glad to be here
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm by Admin

» Panda Puffs Cereal!!
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 9:01 pm by Catherine

» CONGRATULATIONS PROUD CUB PARENTS!!!
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 5:01 pm by Lois

» DISCUSSION TODAY OF TRIBE NAMES TAKES PLACE HERE
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 pm by Admin

» WOOD TRIBE CUB NAME .... is "Xiao Hua" or Little Flower
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:22 am by Admin

» METAL TRIBE CUB NAME is...."Jin Xin" or "Heart of Gold"
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 am by Admin

» Record breaking twins born in Chengdu
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am by Admin

» VOTING IS COMPLETE....READ ON
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am by Admin

» WATER TRIBE CUB NAME..FINAL VOTE...TRIBE MEMBERS ONLY
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:25 am by Admin

» New Atlanta cub born tonite to Lun Lun..8/30/08...panda cam
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 8:40 pm by Admin

» MANY THANKS TO SANDRA!!!!
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 pm by Admin

» WATER TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 am by Admin

Forum
VISIT THE DAILY CHAT FORUM

Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Mama Bear
Admin

Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden Empty
PostSubject: Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden   Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Photos are here on the Pandas International website
http://www.pandasinternational.org/

Suzanne Braden, Director of Pandas International

I was asked by NBC to accompany their China correspondent, Mark Mullen, to Wolong. I began the long and difficult journey on Friday, arriving in Beijing on Saturday afternoon, flying Sunday morning from Beijing to Chengdu and immediately packing up for a lengthy trip in two 4-wheel drive vehicles. I had no idea what route we would take considering the only way I had ever gone was from Chengdu to Dujiangyan then up to Wolong. I knew this way was impassable since portions of bridges had collapsed, parts of the road were totally gone. The road went through the epicenter of the earthquake.

We left Chengdu and headed west towards Bifengxia, actually going away from the earthquake zone so we saw little or no damage. We passed Yaan City and Bifengxia and kept heading west. We turned north and began to climb into high mountains. The road was poor and muddy from rains and snow melt and dangerously slick. We reached the summit of one mountain about 11,000 feet and started down to a small village. After about 8 hours of being tossed around, we stopped for the night in a local guest house.

Next morning we were on the road by 7:00 on our way to Wolong. The drive was absolutely beautiful. The sky was bright blue with white clouds hanging on the Mountain tops, wild flowers in full bloom and water from spring run off pouring down every ravine .

We climbed to the summit of the Balang Mountain range. I could have been in my home state of Colorado except for the yak grazing on the mountainside. The area is in the Aba Tibetan-Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, located on the southeastern rim of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and the northwestern part of Sichuan Province. It is mainly inhabited by the Tibetan and Qiang ethnic groups. The four sisters’ mountain range could be seen from the Balang highway.

The summit of the mountain was 4523 meters (14,839 feet) above sea level and marked with a stone hut and Tibetan prayer flags.

After we made it down the mountain, I began to recognize the surrounding landscape and knew we were on the road on the other side of Wolong. I also began to see the earthquake damage along the road.

After 14 hours of a bone jarring, teeth clenching journey, we at last arrived at the Wolong Center.

The Center was closed to the public. Military personnel were at the entrance. After obtaining permission to enter and disinfecting our hands and shoes and donning blue gowns, we entered the grounds. The first thing that struck me was the eerie, empty feeling.

We crossed the bridge to the entrance gate. Mud, rocks and trees were totally blocking the path on the other side of the gate, so a bridge had been constructed into the hospital building. Since it was lunch time, most of the staff was in the Panda Club office. I was warmly greeted by Dr. Wang and several of the caretakers, who insisted we join them for lunch. Even in this very difficult situation, the people were warm, generous and concerned for visitors rather than themselves. So we shared their lunch (rice and a few veggies) which was cooked on an open fire since there was still no power.

We then toured the center with Dr. Wang. There was an odd mix of no damage to total destruction, depending on where the slides came down. Mountain sides which were once lush green vegetation were now gray slabs of rock. Trees were uprooted or snapped like twigs.

Since Wolong sits in a V shaped valley, the Center was damaged by rock slides on both sides. Many of the panda houses were destroyed while others appeared to have no damage.

Dr. Li came to the Center and did an interview with the NBC crew.

The afternoon ended on a positive note as we watched the 1-year-old cubs get their second milk feeding of the day. Knowing Pandas International had shipped the milk and it was being used twice a day provided a good feeling.

While the cubs were enjoying their milk, the NBC crew and I got to go in the kindergarten area and play with the one year olds. Photos can show the wonder of this moment better than words.

Pandas International is accepting memorial donations in memory of Mao Mao for use in the rebuilding efforts. To make a tax-deductible contribution, please send checks payable to Pandas International at P.O. Box 620335 , Littleton , Colorado 80162 , or view daily updates and donate online at <http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=219505139&u=2277537>www.pandasinternational.org.
Back to top Go down
http://graffitijewelry.com

Sat, June 28, 08Wolong news and images by Suzanne Braden
Page 1 of 1