THE PANDARAZZI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for Project Panda

GalleryHomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» NEW images of Metal and Wood tribe cubs!!
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 am by Admin

» WOOD TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 am by Admin

» METAL TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:40 pm by Admin

» Glad to be here
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm by Admin

» Panda Puffs Cereal!!
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 9:01 pm by Catherine

» CONGRATULATIONS PROUD CUB PARENTS!!!
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 5:01 pm by Lois

» DISCUSSION TODAY OF TRIBE NAMES TAKES PLACE HERE
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 pm by Admin

» WOOD TRIBE CUB NAME .... is "Xiao Hua" or Little Flower
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:22 am by Admin

» METAL TRIBE CUB NAME is...."Jin Xin" or "Heart of Gold"
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 am by Admin

» Record breaking twins born in Chengdu
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am by Admin

» VOTING IS COMPLETE....READ ON
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am by Admin

» WATER TRIBE CUB NAME..FINAL VOTE...TRIBE MEMBERS ONLY
My Foster Elephant Max EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:25 am by Admin

» New Atlanta cub born tonite to Lun Lun..8/30/08...panda cam
My Foster Elephant Max EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 8:40 pm by Admin

» MANY THANKS TO SANDRA!!!!
My Foster Elephant Max EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 pm by Admin

» WATER TRIBE CUB IMAGES,ARTICLES AND VIDEO
My Foster Elephant Max EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 am by Admin

Forum
VISIT THE DAILY CHAT FORUM

My Foster Elephant Max

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Mama Bear
Admin

My Foster Elephant Max Empty
PostSubject: My Foster Elephant Max   My Foster Elephant Max EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm

My Foster Elephant Max 2690541480_7bacca8fee

My Foster Elephant Max 2313017990_aab8d6294d

My Foster Elephant Max 2690943408_ca2211ac45

My Foster Elephant Max 2690539220_2499ba138a

CLICK HERE FOR THE ELEPHANT NATURE FOUNDATION SITE
http://www.elephantnaturefoundation.org/go/foundation

This is older material below but I wanted to post it here to keep all my adoption records together. Max's story is below

My Foster Elephant Max 1588232877_b0b3c1ecd8_o

— Maximus (Max) —

At 11' tall at the shoulder, Max is the tallest elephant at Elephant Nature Park, and is possibly the tallest elephant on record in Thailand. His birth certificate says he is around 45 years old, but his appearance and characteristics suggest he is about 70. Max began his new life at the Park in December 2002. Credit goes to Chas Begley and Rachel Jones of the charity Eleaid for investing capital in Max’s rescue.

Max has worked all the jobs that an elephant can, from circus performing, to logging, to trekking and street begging, even as a rental elephant for use at festivals, temples or weddings. When Max was a trekking elephant, he hated wearing the uncomfortable seat on his back, and would always try to shake it off, one day doing so with tourists on board, resulting in injuries. His mahout was not happy and took him up to the jungle and beat him and left him chained for a long period of time. Max got bored and hungry, managed to escape and went to visit a village and agricultural fields nearby. He did some damage to the water system and the crops. The villagers were not happy and threatened to shoot Max if they saw him again. Proving more trouble than he was worth, the owner was at a loss as to what to do with Max.

He next went to stay at a temple. For three years he was chained up by all four legs in front of the temple with a donation box in front of him. After many complaints of cruelty from the locals, the temple finally decided to sell Max. His new job was street begging outside of Bangkok, with extra work appearing at weddings and ceremonies.

On his way home ("home" being a vacant lot or garbage dump) from work one night, Max was hit by an 18 wheel truck and dragged for 15ft, resulting in a broken right leg at the wrist and other injuries. The broken leg healed improperly leaving Max with a limp, causing him to walk slower. It was soon apparent that street begging was no longer a career option. Max’s life was about to change again.

When Max was first spotted at the Surin elephant roundup in November 2002, he was very weak and underweight. Lek, Chas and Rachel were immediately interested, visualizing him in his former glory. He was an obvious choice for rescue. With a steady supplemental diet of sticky rice upon his arrival to the Park, Max has managed to put weight back on, but most of his time at the park has been part of a slow recovery. He is still fighting off an abscess in his cheek resulting from a pressure wound he acquired during his transport to the park.(He was too weak to stand, so he leaned against the rails of the truck for the duration of the journey.)

A very positive sign came in November 2004, when Max unexpectedly went into musth. Everyone at the park was surprised at how fast Max could move as he sent more than one mahout running! Typical of adult males, Max is not part of any family group, although he is very popular with the ladies. He can be aggressive with humans, but is very gentle with other elephants and is often seen with a group of mothers, aunties and babies surrounding him. He is truly the ‘grand old man’ of the park.

My Foster Elephant Max 1588232591_c69c76f43c_o
Back to top Go down
http://graffitijewelry.com

My Foster Elephant Max
Page 1 of 1